Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Job Search Over (or How Not to Attract a Candidate)

After a couple of intensive weeks of phone interviews and on-site interviews, the job hunt is over. As expected, most phone and on-site interviews included a technical component. Questions ranged from simple by-the-book questions (i.e., "what's a virtual destructor for") to more challenging questions (i.e. "implement a function that does such-and-such").

Generally, most of my interview experiences were good. There was one exception however. I had an interviewer who didn't bother to read my resume and spent a good deal of the interview trashing technical decisions that had been made by the development team.

Interviewing is a two-way street. The company is deciding if I'll bring a skill set that will benefit the company and I'm looking at the company to determine if it's a good place to work. That particular interviewer's technique provided me with useful information, but probably not in the way the company intended.

No comments: